Twenty-Four representatives from the Mines and Geosciences Bureau IV CALABARZON, headed by Regional Director Samuel T. Paragas, joined the 64th Annual National Mine Safety and Environment Conference (ANMSEC) on November 21 – 24, 2017, at the CAP John Hay Trade and Culture Center, Baguio City. ANMSEC is organized by the Philippine Mine Safety and Environment Association (PMSEA), together with the Mines and Geosciences Bureau, Chamber of Mines of the Philippines, Philippine Society of Mining Engineers, mining companies, and other professional organizations.
This year’s theme of the ANMSEC, “Responsible Mining… in the Hearts and Minds of Filipinos” aims to inspire and motivate Filipinos to practice and exercise responsible mining. The four-day event commenced with the tree planting activity at the Baguio Botanical Garden to show the industry’s commitment to environmental protection.
The activities for this year’s event were the following:
- Tree Planting Activity at Baguio Botanical Garden
- Welcome Cocktails at Baguio Country Club
- Sports Fest (Badminton, Golf, Bowling and Lawn Tennis)
- Mining Exhibit by Mining Companies and Suppliers
- 3rd National Minerals Industry Student Congress of students taking up BS Mining Engineering, BS Geology, BS Metallurgical Engineering and other related mining and geology courses
- 5th Community Relations Officers Conference in cooperation with National Community Relations Practitioners in the Philippine Mining/Minerals Industry
- Minerals Industry Symposium in cooperation with PSEM
- Minerals Industry Parade
- Mine Safety Field Demonstration and Field Competition
The four-day event was concluded by the much-awaited Testimonial Dinner and Annual Awards Night. The said activity recognized the mining operations with exemplary performances and accomplishments on environmental management and outstanding safety performance. Republic Cement and Building Materials received the Platinum Award for 2017 Presidential Mineral Industry Environmental Award (PMIEA) Steering Committee Awards, while Republic Cement and Building Materials, Inc – Teresa Plant was the Runner-Up for the Safest Quarry Operation Category.
Engr. Louie Sarmiento giving his welcome remarks at the 5th Community Relations Conference
Attendees of the 5th Community Relations Officers Conference
by: Philippe Michael T. Granada December 27, 2017