|Mandate and Functions|
- Directly in charge in the administration and disposition of the country’s mineral lands and mineral resources;
- Undertake geoscientific surveys and researches in the fields of land and marine geology, mining, mine environment, metallurgy, mineral economics, and mine geodetic surveys;
- Recommends to the Secretary the granting of Mineral Agreements and endorses to the Secretary, for approval by the President, the granting of Financial or Technical Assistance Agreements (FTAA);
- Provide laboratory and other technical services to the public and other government entities;
- Provide technical assistance to local government units in their performance of devolved functions on small-scale mining and quarry/sand and gravel mining operations;
- Provide staff support and technical advisory to the Office of the Secretary on mining and geology matters; and
- Acts as Secretariat to the Mines Adjudication Board (MAB).
Office of the Regional Director. The Office of the Regional Director shall implement at the regional level the pertinent laws, policies, rules and regulations and programs; exercise the management functions of planning, organizing, directing and controlling; undertake Information, Education and Communication campaign; and perform such other duties and functions as may be provided by law or delegated by the Director.
Mine Management Division. The Mine Management Division (MMD) shall undertake initial evaluation of mining and mining-related applications, monitoring of the disposition and utilization of mineral lands and resource, and survey of mineral lands.
Mining Environment and Safety Division. The Mine Safety, Environment and Social Development Division (MSESDD) shall conduct the evaluation and monitoring of implementation of programs and investigate incidents/complaints on mine safety and health, environmental management and social development.
Geosciences Division. The Geosciences Division (GD) shall undertake land and marine geoscientific surveys (including mineral exploration, geological mapping, geohazard assessment, groundwater resource exploration and vulnerability assessment, and engineering geological and geo-environmental studies) and provide geological laboratory and information services
Finance and Administrative Division. The Finance and Administrative Division (FAD) shall provide general administrative services pertaining to human and financial resources and property and records management.
The MGB, as steward of the country’s mineral resources, is committed to the promotion of sustainable mineral resources development, aware of its contribution to national economic growth and countryside community development. It fully recognizes that the development of a responsive policy framework in partnership with stakeholders to govern mineral exploration, mining and investment decisions and an effective institutional structure, are fundamental requisites for the sustainable utilization of the country’s mineral resources. It is adherent to the promotion of geological studies as an integral element of socio-economic development, environmental protection and human safety. Yet, it is sensitive to the known environmental impacts of mining and the need for restoration and rehabilitation of mining affected areas and the development and adoption of environmental and geoscientific technologies.
MGB envisions a minerals industry that is not only prosperous but also socially, economically and environmentally sustainable, with broad community and political support while positively and progressively assisting in government’s program on poverty alleviation and contributing to the general economic well being of the nation.
MGB also aims to be the leading Geoscience and Georesources Bureau serving the public and nation with scientific reliability.
To realize its vision for the industry, MGB subscribes to the core requirements of Sustainable Development as applied to mining and geoscience:
- Protection and rehabilitation of the environment;
- Promotion of social and community stability;
- Preservation of options for future generations; and
- Competitive and prosperous mining industry
CLICK HERE TO READ CITIZEN’S CHAPTER