The Geosciences Division (GD) shall undertake land and marine geoscentific surveys (including mineral exploration, geological mapping, geohazard assessment, groundwater resource exploration and vulnerability assessment, and engineering geological and geo-environmental studies) and provide geological laboratory and information services.
- Conducts geological mapping, and other specialized studies involving stratigraphy, structural geology and tectonics, and geomorphology, among others;
- Conducts mineral exploration (including characterization and modelling of mineral deposits);
- Undertakes the evaluation of proposed mineral reservation;
- Conducts validation and inventory of mineral resource;
- Assist in the evaluation of mining tenements in relation to mineral exploration; and
- Conducts information, Education and Communication campaigns on geosciences (including geology, geohazard, rocks and mineral deposits, hydrology).
HYDROGEOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL GEOLOGY SECTION
- Conducts hydrogeological exploration and vulnerability assessment; and
- Conducts geo-environmental studies (including assessment of possible solid waste disposal sites and studies on climate change and other environmental impacts).
GEOHAZARD AND ENGINEERING GELOGY SECTION
• Conducts geohazard and risk assessment (including hazard modeling, and engineering geological studies);
• Conducts relocation/resettlement and evacuation site assessment in support to disaster risk reduction and management programs; and
• Undertakes geological scoping and review of engineering geological and geohazard assessment reports.
GEOLOGICAL LABORATORY SERVICES SECTION
Provides services on geological laboratory analysis of minerals/ores, rocks, soil, sediments, fossils, water and other types of samples.