by: NLM June 19, 2017
Technical personnel from the Mines and Geosciences Bureau, Region IV (CALABARZON) attended the 5th Seminar-Workshop on Mining Conflicts/Dispute Resolution in at Icon Hotel, North Edsa, Quezon Cityon May 23-27, 2017.
MGB IV Panel of Arbitrators was represented by Atty. Marlou P. Alutaya, the Panel’s Acting Chairman, Atty. Fernando S. Belandres, Engr. Norberto L. Manlapas Jr., legal/technical members and support staff/personnel namely Ma. Lourdes O. Griarte and Ms. Libertie B. Moron.
The events theme, “Alternative Dispute Resolution: A Catalyst for Change in Dispute Resolution on Mining Conflict” aims to introduce the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) to Mining Conflicts/Disputes before bringing the said matters to the Panel of Arbitrators. Upon application of the said ADR, oppositor and respondent are required to undertake discussion and resolution to arrive in an amicable settlement, if the said procedure fails, their cases may be filed before the Panel.
Major topics discussed in the subject event also include:
- Presentation of Accomplishment Reports covering CY 1996 to present including the innovation of MAB/Panel ISSP Information System and MGB Central Database, facilitated by the Legal Services Division
- Identification of Issues and Gaps in the Accomplishment of Targets including presentation of the 2017 Work and Financial Plan (Detailed Work Activities, Target and Unit Cost: Travel and Training Plan; Project Procurement Management Plan)
- Compliance with PD 1856 or the Legal Research Fund
- Updates on the New Mining Policies/Issuances by Engr. Larry M. Heradez
- Rules on Pleading, Practice and Procedure before the Panel of Arbitrators and the Mines Adjudication Board, discussed by Atty. Raymond Anthony A. Velicaria
- DENR Administrative Order No. 2005-18, also known as “Adoption of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Principles and Procedures in the Resolution of Appropriate Environment and Natural Resources” presented by Atty. Norlito A. Eneran
Several discussions and plenary sessions between members of the PA and Legal Services Division was also undertaken which includes topics with regard to the scope of ADR and formulation of ADR principles and procedures. Panel from several regions has identified several problems and solutions as input on the planned manual in the rules involving ADR including matters that involves administrative and financial matters and the creation of technical working group.
Several lawyers from different agencies and bureaus of DENR attended the MAB/POA
Seminar-Workshop on May 23-27, 2017